PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
October 7, 2017
Foundation to host radiothon and pancake breakfast to raise money for digital imaging equipment
The North Central Health Care Foundation (NCHCF) in Melfort will be hosting a pancake breakfast to formally kick-off their one-day radiothon for the Melfort Hospital Digital X-Ray Campaign. The radiothon will be live on 105 CJVR and CK750 all day long.
During the radiothon, the NCHCF intends to meet the campaign’s $510,000 target. The NCHCF has already raised $200,000 toward meeting the campaign goal. Individuals, groups and businesses from the community and surrounding area are encouraged to pledge their support to the campaign during the radiothon.
Melfort Hospital Digital X-Ray Campaign Radiothon Friday, October 20th 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Pancake Breakfast Kick-Off 7 a.m. – 9 a.m. Melfort Curling Club 110 Crawford Avenue West
For more information, contact:
Nadine Mevel-Degerness Facility Administrator Melfort Hospital 306-752-8700
Melfort Hospital Digital X-Ray Campaign Fact Sheet
- The Melfort Hospital is one of seven diagnostic imaging sites in Kelsey Trail Health Region (KTHR) that has been upgraded from the outdated computed x-ray technology to the industry standard digital technology, aligning all diagnostic imaging equipment in the health region to a safer, higher quality at an affordable price.
- Kelsey Trail Health Region (KTHR) worked in partnership with community Trust Committees and Foundations in each the region’s diagnostic imaging sites to cover the costs associated with the purchase and installation of the new technology. Community Trust Committees and Foundations were tasked with raising the funds required for the equipment purchase while KTHR covered the costs associated with site readiness and installation.
- KTHR was able to take advantage of economies of savings through the bulk purchase of the digital x-ray equipment for all of the health region’s digital imaging sites. The lifespan of the new x-ray equipment is up to 15 years.
- Patient and staff safety is significantly better with a 60% reduction in patient exposure to radiation.
- Digital x-ray equipment produces the highest quality, filmless image, reducing errors and the need for repeat examinations.
- Turnaround time is significantly improved with digital x-ray. Physicians can view a patient’s x-ray immediately and reports can be viewedalmost immediately after having the image taken – a substantial decrease from the 10-14 days associated with film.
- Off-site doctors or specialists can also read images almost instantly after they have been captured providing faster diagnosis and treatment for patients.
- Digital x-ray units are portable which provides physicians with the flexibility to take images directly in the Emergency Room and the Operating Room rather than having to transport critically ill patients to the x-ray department.
- Workflow is significantly improved for x-ray technologists, eliminating the need to move heavy equipment and cassettes around.
- Digital images can be stored and accessed both on-site and off-site through the provincial PACS (Picture Archiving & Communication System) database. They are also very portable and can be transferred for viewing on a CD, flash drive or an email.
- The North Central Health Care Foundation (NCHCF) has raised $200,000 of a $510,000 fundraising goal for the Melfort Hospital Digital X-Ray Campaign. The NCHCF intends to meet the fundraising target during a 12 hourRadiothon on CJVR/CK750 on October 20 from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. A kick-off pancake breakfast will be held at the Melfort Curling Club from 7 – 9 a.m.
- The North Central Health Care Foundation has been raising funds to support the ongoing delivery of healthcare services in Melfort and area since 2001. In addition to Melfort Hospital, funds raised by the NCHCF support the purchase of much-needed equipment necessary for the ongoing delivery of healthcare services in Parkland Place, Nirvana Assisted Living, Melfort & Naicam Home Care and Chateau Providence in St. Brieux.
For more information about the Digital X-Ray Equipment and Diagnostic Imaging in KTHR contact:
Director Lab, Diagnostic Imaging & EMS
Kelsey Trail Health Region